readtoomuch

rtm

I read, I eat, I work, and then I read a lot more. Who needs sleep.

59 Hunters
59 Jefferson Starships

An author I'll be watching

Where I End and You Begin - Andra Brynn

For the last few days, I've been having a difficult time trying to clarify my thoughts on this book.  It's not perfect.  It's not the usual type of N/A story that revs it engine even while at neutral, rather it is slooow paced as you're drawn into the broken and hopeless mind of the main character while she's drowning in depression, addiction, and loss of self.   However, because you're in her mind, there is a repetitiveness to her despair.  I mean, how many times do I have to hear her say how messed up she is, and how much pain she's in?  I get it though.  That's what happens when you're in such a dark and destructive state and think so lowly of yourself.  So I understand how deliberate the author was to portray the main character's downward spiral into self destruction.

I really did enjoy this story though.  The writing... oh, the writing.  Thank you, reading gods, for giving me some hope at finding new authors to be excited for!  There wasn't the usual telling not showing. Hallefreakinlujah! The author can actually write well. *sob*  The story, plot, and characters weren't even original (actually, it was pretty predictable), but in this author's mind, her characters had substance, they had depth, they were interesting, and I felt those things.  And thanks to the author for not writing about a tempermental, tattooed, violent, motorcycle riding caveman.  Daniel is the exact opposite of the popular N/A "hero" but not in a contrived way.  He's steadfast, but not boring.

This book was an amazon 1-click freebie that I finished in just under two hours, and before I could even think of what I would write in a review, I had already recommended it to more than a handful of friends.  If this author further develops her story telling abilities to at least equal her writing style, then she'll probably end up an auto-buy author for me.